Welcome to our June Blog Hop!
This month we are focusing on Summertime and Family Fun activities. Get ready for some great ideas, inspiration and how to as you move along through the blog hop.
You may just be starting the blog hop or may have come from Natalie Bradley at Soirée by Natalie Bradley on our Living with Style Blog Hop. If you get off track at any time, the full lineup below will help you move along from blog to blog so you make sure to see and learn from all of the articles featured here today.
RED WHITE AND BLUE SALAD
Summer time. My favorite time of the year. The windows are open and I listen to the ongoing symphony of birds chirping their sweet melody. Invisible frogs are croaking their chorus from hiding spots around the pond. The tittering of squirrels… like the tender whisper of flutes… drifts through the gentle breeze.
What the? Am I caught up in a dream? Or maybe a commercial for laundry detergent?! If you’ve read THIS post you know that is not exactly what I wake up to each morning. But what the heck… I do still love summer time! I do love hearing the sounds of the neighborhood kiddos laughing and having a ball. I love the BBQs and spending time with my family and friends out of doors. I love sipping sangria with my gal pals and “glamping” with my family. (If “glamping” is not familiar to you, you can get an idea of it from HERE.) I love the warm evenings and tanned skin. And I love the 4th of July. This year… I’ve added a new Red White and Blue Salad to my list of reasons to love summer!
The 4th of July is a favorite holiday of mine. Not because of the fireworks. In all honesty, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with fireworks. On the plus side, they are stunning as they shoot up and spread across the dark sky in glorious splendor. In contrast, they frighten my sweet dogs and keep me from my precious sleep as neighbors shoot them off for days before and after the holiday. Argh… don’t get me started on that!
But the real reason I adore the 4th of July is for the celebration of this amazing country in which I am so fortunate to live. The remembrance of the struggles, the toil and victory of our forefathers. The strength and values that are the foundation of this country and its Constitution. The magnificence of the American flag, standing tall and proud, waving its stars and stripes.
And sparklers. You gotta love sparklers!
Anyhoo… as I was starting to say… I have added a dazzling new Red White and Blue Salad to my list of summer loves. This beauty is a real charmer in my repertoire of summer side dishes. Not only does it holler out “Happy Birthday, America!” but it’s a healthy and delicious addition to the dinner table and I just know you’re going to love it!
- 3 bunches of Hearts of Romaine, washed and chopped
- 1/4 C. red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced
- 1 C. fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 C. fresh blueberries, sliced
- 1/2 C. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 C. Parmesan cheese, shaved or shredded
- 1/2 C. olive oil
- 3 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine oil, vinegar, garlic and pepper in a jar or container and set aside. I like to let the flavors meld for several hours if possible.
- Combine lettuce, onion, avocado, strawberries, blueberries and feta cheese and toss.
- Drizzle the dressing over salad and thoroughly toss.
- Sprinkle tossed salad with the Parmesan cheese and gently toss once again.
- Serve and enjoy
- Try adding sliced steak or chicken to make this a complete meal.
- Pine nuts, toasted almonds, chopped walnuts or pecans are all great additions as well.
What are some of your favorite summer salads and/ or 4th of July faves? I’d love to hear from you…
The next stop is Karissa Ancell at A Fresh Start on Living with Style Blog Hop! Thanks for visiting and I hope to see you again next month! Oh… don’t forget to Subscribe so I can keep you up to date on all that goes on here at The Dutchman’s Wife.
Blog Hop Lineup:
- Laura Gelnett at Making It Happen Together
- Lory Robinson at The Robin’s Nest Designs
- Natalie Bradley at Soirée by Natalie Bradley
- Brandy VanDeKop at The Dutchman’s Wife << you are here
- Karissa Ancell at A Fresh Start
- Rhonda at MultiTaskingMaven
- Pam Bennett at The Birch Cottage
- Leah M. Briick at Briick by Briick
- Lisa Milligan at Harmony and Happiness
- Dianne O’Donnell at Scrutinizing Life
- Abby Winstead at Winstead Wandering
- Cristi Wuenschel at The Keeper of the Memories
- Kendra Sawyer at Wonderland Kind of Mind
- Pam B at Hey, Miss Adventures!
- Fanny Seto at Living Richly on a Budget